Feb 19, 2009

Dos and Don'ts of Marrying Your Foreign Fiance

If you were going to complete your K1 Fiance Visa without an attorney, there are few things you must know before submitting.

Requirements you must comply with before submitting your application. The requirement is meeting your fiance within two years of sending your K1 Application. Let's say you met your fiance three years ago and want to file. Your application will most likely be denied. Take another trip to see her. Come back with updated travel documents and then submit your application.

The USCIS officers are reviewing your application and looking for certain things. The trips ensure your relationship is current. These officers tend to not trust a long distance relationship. As they see it, most normal relationships have personal face to face contact and that contact is most acceptable when documented within two years of the submittal. To the USCIS officers, if you have not seen your fiance in two years, then something is not right. Not satisfying this requirement will keep your application from being approved.

See your fiance within the last two years. Once is not enough if you really want to show a trend. Meeting once does not show true intent. This is my personal opinion but there are things that can happen over three years of not seeing each other. A bond becomes weak without face to face contact. It is best to see each other every 6 months or at the least once a year. But that decision lies with the both of you.

Not all K1 Fiance couples are compatible. I have met many that are not. The worst part of it is they found this out after they were finally together in the USA. The comfort level was not there and they even had a hard time just trying to sleep with each other.

I met my fiance every four to six months and spent a total of three weeks each time I flew out to see her. The first time was very uncomfortable. The second time it was better. The third time I knew she was the right one for me. It is tough to make these trips, but well worth it once your fiance is in the USA with you.

Take a trip to see your fiance regularly. Spend time with her. Here are a few things you must consider when on your trips. Keep all plane ticket stubs, hotel receipts and currency exchange receipts.

Plane ticket stubs, hotel receipts, currency exchange receipts, and retail shop receipts were items I always brought back with me. Retail receipts were a great source of proof. They would always contain the name of the store, address and date that I bought the items.

Pictures were something I took a lot of when we took our trips together. I would take as many as I could of just her and me. The date and time stamp feature on the camera came in handy on my travels. I took a minimum of two pictures of use together on every trip. When I did submit my application, these pictures went right along with my K1 Visa Application.
Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Dos and Don'ts of Marrying Your Foreign Fiance"