May 5, 2009

Is the Way to a Man's Heart Really Through His Stomach?

There's just something about eating together that creates intimacy. Most major world religions have some sort of a traditional ritual feast, whether it's the Christian communion or the Jewish seder. Breaking bread together just brings people closer to each other.
With this in mind, I asked some of my friends whether or not the old adage is true: the way to a man's (or woman's, for that matter) heart is through his (or her) stomach.
For me, cooking is something I did when I was single in lieu of starving to death. Consequently, I'm not very good at it. So I've never "wowed" a guy with my cooking expertise. My mother is an even worse cook - which might explain why she and my father have been miserable together for almost fifty years...
My husband Alex, on the other hand, is a very good cook, and, as you can guess, does all the cooking at our house. His mother is even better - which might very well be why his dad was smitten with her from the day they met until the day he died. I have often suspected that the only reason my husband exists is because his mother made - and still makes - the best gravy I have ever had.
So, since I have absolutely no personal experience in gaining true love through the culinary arts, I asked my friends. Their answers surprised me. I think they might surprise you, too.
Kathy said, "I can say Yes! My parents met at a Catholic Center on the Ohio State campus after mass. They hit it off and started dating. My father swore his heart to my mother after she fed him her beef stroganoff. They got married and a year and a bit later had me. I would not be here if it were not for my mom's cooking."
Note to self: see if Kathy has her mother's beef stroganoff recipe. It might come in handy...
Beth said, "I don't know that it's the only way, but it sure works. Either making the guy's favorite food, or putting effort into making a fancy meal (especially if it involves an early visit to someone's home) can be terrific ways to express care before you're ready to say the words. That said, it works for women, too. (Or at least, a lot of my fond memories of specific pasts include a food component...)
Take Beth's advice: if you're having trouble saying "I love you," try making him or her a home-cooked meal first!
But not everyone I asked felt that food was - or even should be - the deciding factor for a relationship. Lars, after reiterating the joke that "the way to a man's heart is between his fourth and fifth rib on the left side," said, "In truth, feeding a man does not claim his heart, but if you do it right, it can catch his attention. The heart is found when the attention focuses on the other person and an emotional connection is given. The hope is that they look up from their meal and connect with you, using the meal as a bridge."
I find it interesting that the only man who answered my question said no, the way to a man's heart really isn't through his stomach, and the women who answered said the opposite.
Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Is the Way to a Man's Heart Really Through His Stomach?"